We provide cremation and burial services throughout Victoria, at the cemetery of your choice. Burial options range from traditional grave selections including; lawns, vault, monumental and mausoleum options and alternative burial choices including natural and upright (location specific).
A single service is where the entire proceedings take place at one location, such as a church or chapel (or other venue) without following onto a second location. This means that the cremation or burial takes place privately following the service. Family and friends may wish to move onto a secondary location for a wake or celebration, but this does not require the attendance of funeral staff.
A dual service takes place at two locations, such as a church or chapel (or other venue) followed by an attended graveside burial or witnessed cremation. In the case of burial, the initial service will be followed by a formal cortege to a graveside location where the final words of committal and laying to rest of the deceased takes place with loved ones present. In the case of a witnessed cremation, a selected number of family and friends may follow the hearse to the crematorium to witness the cremation after the service has taken place.
A graveside service consists of a simple ceremony provided directly at the graveside. There is no formal service held prior in a chapel or other location. A service at the graveside is usually smaller in attendance and shorter in duration, as it is usually a requirement for the attendees to be standing for the entire service and may be held in inclement weather. Although less formal than a church or chapel ceremony, it can still contain all the elements of tradition service such as eulogies, music and prayer. A graveside service is usually concluded with a ceremonial sand or flower offering atop of the lowered coffin.
A private cremation or burial is held when there is no formal funeral service; only funeral staff will be in attendance. Family may or may not choose to have some type of ceremony at a later date.
A memorial service is usually held after the cremation or burial has taken place (with or without the cremated remains present). There are a number of reasons for choosing a memorial service;
- It allows family to personalise their farewell in a way that doesn’t necessarily fit with their idea of traditional funeral service.
- It can allow family more time to make the right decisions in regards to the final farewell of their loved one, without the added pressure of laying the deceased to rest.
- It may be the wishes of deceased that their body not be present, or the wishes of the remaining family, for their own reasons.
- The decision may also be a financial one. Without having to employ the services of a funeral director to hold a formal service, families can save money by only engaging the services of a funeral director to assist with a direct cremation or burial and the required documentation.
At Potter’s Field Funerals, we’re here to provide assistance with preparatory arrangements in regards to laying your loved one to rest. Our services include helping you organise your own memorial service, booking your memorial service and providing staff on the day to assist with the running of your event.
Choose Potter’s Field Funerals
- Personalised, ethical and inclusive funeral care that is not just a commercial exchange, but delivers community benefit too.
- Full onsite mortuary service – our embalmers will restore, sanitise and ensure the hygienic preservation of your loved one.
- Our funeral home’s fees and services are affordable so everyone is able to have a dignified send-off for their loved one.
- We service all areas of Melbourne and regional Victoria.
- Choosing a Potter’s Field Funeral assists our charitable partner (Bereavement Assistance Ltd) to care for disadvantaged members of the Victorian community by providing a funeral without the financial pressure of a commercial cost.
To coordinate arrangements for your loved one, you can visit us at our office or alternatively, we also offer the option of doing the arrangements over the phone, email and Zoom. CONTACT US to find out more.
What Our Families Say
I'm beyond thankful for the love and care you have taken with my Dad and opportunity for me to send him off in style today was just lovely. Thank you for all your support.
- Sonja Louise
The kindness and respect shown towards my Mother following the loss of her much loved brother was nothing short of excellent; When Mum was grieving and at times confused by the process of making the arrangements, the team at Potter's Field was able to put her mind at ease with her gentle and caring approach. Nothing was too much trouble and it was much appreciated.
- Robert Rennie
Thank you for arranging our father's memorial service and for supporting our family every step of the way. Your approach was respectful and caring and exactly what our father wanted.
- Jen Sartain
I would like to thank Alex and his team for their kindness, and professionalism in taking gentle care of mom. They politely guided me and my brother through every step of the process. This helped ease our minds so we could just focus on the funeral mass service to celebrate moms life and Father Esuru to give her God's blessings, and her burial service to farewell her life from here into the new beginnings of eternal life. Thank you from our family.
- Ana Willis
I want to thank Potters Field for the care and excellence in the care of my sister in law. And Georgia the funeral director, was so lovely and patient . I recommend them highly, a terrific team with compassion and even though its on a budget, they treat people with respect and kindness.
- Anne Margaret Morrall